Wednesday 6 July 2011

Letter of complaint


Dear Sir or madam,

I would like to complain about the level of service received today (Sunday 3rd July 2011) at the Apple Cart restaurant in Didcot, Oxfordshire.
The attitude of the waitress employed by your company was disgusting, and my parents and I were left feeling dissatisfied with the way the situation was resolved by the manager on shift.

On arrival the restaurant was not busy, we were greeted and seated by a member of staff named Emy, whose attitude was excellent, she made us feel welcome and was chatty and helpful   A different waitress named Sammy took our order.

We ordered food and drinks, we waited 30 minutes for our food to arrive, and when it came there were no drinks served with it.  We asked Sammy if our drinks would be much longer, and she replied that “someone else will bring them” with no apology or attempt to rectify the situation herself.  We started to eat our meals, and still no drinks had arrived, so we asked again and received the same response.  After the third time of asking, I had finished my own meal, so I went to the bar to collect the drinks.
I saw the manager and I explained what had happened, and she took the drinks order at the bar.  I was unimpressed, but I was not rude and I assumed the situation was rectified.

We had ordered 2 meals that were on the Sunday 2-course deal, so we stacked the plates on the side of the table and waited for the waitress to return.
After about 15 minutes she had cleared two other tables (from customers who had arrived after us)and taken their dessert orders, but appeared to be ignoring our table.

I returned to the bar to place our dessert order, and Sammy was using her mobile phone at the till station, she ignored me and made no effort to ask what I wanted, so I joined the queue at the bar.
After several minutes of waiting, she finally stopped texting and asked me to come round so she could take my order. I found her manner to be insincere and verging on sarcastic.

After ordering our desserts (a full 15 minutes had passes and we had still received nothing.) we noticed Sammy was briefing a waitress who had arrived to start her shift.  She explained which tables were on which courses, and ended her exchange with “and the twats are on their desserts”, whilst looking at our table.  She said this rather too loudly and my family heard the comment
After this comment I felt awkward, I did not wish to remain in the restaurant. Initially I thought I had misheard her but both my parents confirmed that they had also heard the comment.
Our desserts had still not been served, we decided enough was enough and we made a formal complaint to the manager on shift.  The manager apologised and gave us our meals for free, however, I felt humiliated and I was very angry and disgusted with our treatment.

We had not done anything to deserve to be treated like this. We went out for a family meal as I was returning to my home in Wales later that day.  We thought it would be a nice family meal.  How wrong we were.  Frankly it completely ruined our day.

I would like some assurance that this incident will be dealt with in an appropriate manner.
I would like to have been apologised to by the waitress who made the demeaning comments about my family and myself.

I feel that at the very least two members of your waiting staff require some formal training in how to behave whilst at work, and I sincerely hope that you will take appropriate disciplinary action. I do not expect to have comments like that made about me, and especially not as an attempt at public humiliation.
I appreciate that working in a restaurant can be very hard work, and the it had been busy, I also appreciate that the staff may well have been tired, but that is no excuse for being deliberately rude and unkind to a customer. These members of staff have not acted in a professional manner, and they have represented your company in an incredibly poor light.

I look forward to your prompt reply to this complaint

No comments:

Post a Comment